Thursday, September 8, 2011

Interview with Kyle O'Reilly of ROH

Kyle O'Reilly is one of the rising stars in Ring of Honor.  He was a trainee, and now training partner of Davey Richards and Tony Kozina.  In ROH, he primarily competes in the tag team division, with Adam Cole; their team has recently been dubbed Future Shock.  On September 17th, ROH will have an iPPV, Death Before Dishonor.  Future Shock will be competing against their long time rivals, The Bravado Brothers and the returning Young Bucks in a triple threat, elimination tag match.

O'Reilly has already had loads of experience in his short career, as in the last two years alone, he has also competed for DGUSA, Evolve, Chikara, CZW, and wXw.

All information on the ROH iPPV can be found at ROHWrestling.com.

You can order the ROH iPPV at GoFightLive.TV



TJ Hawke: You and your tag team partner, Adam Cole, competed in the very first match of the new television era. How did it feel to learn that your team was chosen to be the very first match that the new TV audience will see? How do you feel the match went?

Kyle O'Reilly: It feels good to know that the company has enough faith in Adam and myself to have us as the first match to represent ROH to new fans. I've noticed myself/Adam are given a lot of opening match opportunities, which I take as a compliment. It's always great to get out there when the crowd is itching for some wrestling and in the case of the Chicago tapings, I feel it went really well. Eagerly anticipating the continuation of ROH's television venture.


TJ: Ring of Honor has their next iPPV, Death Before Dishonor 8, on September 17th. At the last iPPV, Best in the World, your mentor, Davey Richards won the world title. After the win, Davey gave a very emotional speech where he thanked you and Tony Kozina. What did it mean to you to be in the ring after Davey finally won the title?

KO: It was a very emotional and real speech. Not often in pro-wrestling does something so genuine and heartfelt happen. It was a very special moment and the emotion flooded through me as it did through him. A truly great moment for Davey, ROH and wrestling as a whole.


TJ: Yourself, Tony Kozina, and Davey Richards are known for the rigorous training that you do. How did you guys get hooked up with each other? What is a typical week of training like for you?

KO: I met Davey and Tony when I first broke in on the West coast in British Columbia. They would come up to wrestle there and we gradually became friends and begin training together. I moved to St. Louis to live, travel and train with them full time in 2009 and it's benefited my career greatly. I wouldn’t be where I am without their help and Davey's constant demanding of me to push beyond the pain threshold time and time again. Weekly training varies but a normal day consists of a strength/explosiveness training session or plyometric workout. An intense cardio session of intervals. 2-3 classes of Muay Thai and Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.. 5 days a week. We treat our training like a full time job and push each other to new heights every day.


TJ: When did you learn that ROH was planning on using you primarily as a tag team wrestler with Adam Cole? At the time, were you hoping to start out as a singles wrestler?

KO: Adam Cole and myself were both signed and brought into ROH at relatively the same time. It was natural for us to pair together as a young babyface tag team. As oppose to shove us down people’s throats, we could gradually get over as a team that always fights back and through this we’ve gelled really well as a pairing.

I truly enjoy teaming with Adam Cole. He is such a talented guy and he really brings out the best in me. I was never a big fan of tag wrestling, preferring to have singles matches. Teaming with Adam has changed that mentality completely and together we’ve been able to have some killer matches with hopefully some more on the horizon.

As for a solo career, never say never. I still enjoy having singles matches, but as far as the near future is concerned, both Adam and myself have our sights set on the ROH World Tag Team titles and a prosperous, lengthy career as a tandem.


TJ: Before ROH was regularly putting you on TV and their house shows, you had a number of strong appearances with Evolve and Dragon Gate USA. How was your experience working for those companies?  Were you disappointed when you stopped working for them?

KO: I enjoyed my time in those companies and am thankful for having been given those opportunities. I just considered myself lucky to be given good matches and a chance to showcase myself. I am slightly disappointed at being finished up with them because it could make for a lot of fresh matches that wouldn't be seen otherwise. That being said, Ring of Honor is where I've had my sights set on since I've become a wrestler. It's where I want to be and I'm super thrilled to be a member of the hardest working roster in the sport.


TJ: For this section of the interview, I was hoping you could share your thoughts on some prominent matches from your career:


ROH Fade to Black: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Austin Aries

KO: I remember getting in my car and driving by myself 20 hours from St. Louis to Plymouth, Mass. not knowing who I'd be wrestling on the Ring of Honor show. I got a text a few hours in saying I'd be working with Austin, as you can imagine I was ecstatic. Austin was a guy who's matches I had studied and I knew he'd give me a chance to shine. I was exhausted upon completing the match but my reward was a contract with the company I had been trying to get in full time with for over a year.


Evolve 5: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Ricochet

KO: This was the same weekend as the Fade to Black show. I began the drive to Rahway from Plymouth on a complete high with what had just taken place. I "Mick Foley'd" the night in a parking lot by sleeping uncomfortably in my car. I was beyond sore and tired for the match and I remember feeling very fatigued during the bout. Riccochet is extremely talented and he gave me a great match on a show headlined by Bryan Danielson and Munenori Sawa. I knew on the drive home my career had taken a huge leap forward and that I now had the confidence to take things to the next level.


Evolve 6: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Bobby Fish

KO: One of my favorite matches, just an all out war. I was sore for a good 4 days after this match and rightfully so, Bobby is a legit fighter/athlete and held nothing back. Just a class act of a guy and would love more matches with him.


16 Carat Gold 2011: Future Shock vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & Marty Scurll

KO: Really enjoy fighting with Zack Sabre Jr. and Marty Scurll. They are super talented and they really bring out the best in Adam and myself. The German fans were so amazing for the whole match and when you feed off the energy and atmosphere like that, not even getting socked in the jaw by Zack Sabre Jr. can keep you down. Lots of fun!! 


ROH Honor Takes Center Stage Weekend: FutureShock vs. Briscoes and FutureShock vs. Kings of Wrestling

KO: The biggest weekend at the time for Adam Cole and myself in two huge matches. Such a hot crowd and such fun matches. The Briscoes and the Kings of Wrestling are on the top tier of tag-team wrestling and just getting to share the ring with both teams respectively was a huge honor and learning experience. I felt me and Adam grew as a team after those matches and still continue to get better after every match together.


ROH Revolution USA: Future Shock vs. Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas

KO: Another awesome learning experience for Adam and myself. Wrestling Charlie Hass and Shelton Benjamin was intimidating to say the least but they are true professionals of this business and knew exactly what the crowd needed to see. Hoping to get another crack at them soon!


TJ: Finally, what are your ultimate goals for your career? In my interview with Davey, he said he had no interest in leaving ROH and moving to WWE or TNA. Do you share his sentiments?

KO: Ring of Honor is where I want to be and to grow and develop with this company is my goal. I've always dreamed of wrestling in Japan so hopefully that will become a reality in the future as well. I would never rule out going somewhere like WWE years and years down the line, WWE is what we all watched growing up and what made me want to be a wrestler. But I truly believe in what ROH represents and what the wrestlers her bring to the table. It's the ultimate place to test my athleticism and to deliver high quality matches and give legitimacy to the sport of pro-wrestling.


TJ: Thanks for doing the interview Kyle. Is there anything you want to promote (Twitter, Facebook, upcoming appearances, booking information, etc)?

KO: Thank you so much.

Twitter @ROHOreilly

Facebook.com/rohoreilly

afighterspirit@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment