Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Interview: Tony Nese of Evolve and NYWC (Anthony Nese of TNA)

Tony Nese will be competing at this Friday's iPPV, Evolve 8: Style Battle. His first round match in the 8 man "Fighting Style" tournament is Jon Davis. Nese will be putting up his "standing combat" style against Davis' "power" style. Nese's record in Evolve is 0-2, but he has had some impressive showings. Nese is a regular for the New York Wrestling Connection promotion, which is based in Deer Park, New York. He will also be making his Dragon Gate USA debut on June 4th in Deer Park.

Information for the Evolve 8 card is here: http://www.evolvewrestling.com/livecardunion.htm
The NYWC information can be found here: http://www.nywcwrestling.com/
The Dragon Gate USA card (which is being co-promoted by the NYWC) is here: http://dgusa.tv/liveeventsdeerpark.htm
You can order the Evolve 8 iPPV here (yes, that's my affiliate page): http://www.wwnlive.com/signup.php?id=28


T.J. Hawke: Evolve seems to have been your national breakout to the best of my knowledge. However, I know you work for the New York Wrestling Connection promotion based in Deer Park, NY, and I read on the Evolve site that is where you were trained. What is it like to be trained by, and then work with, Mikey Whipwreck?


Tony Nese: Being trained by Mikey Whipwreck was one of the best choices I ever made in wrestling. Growing up as a huge fan of ECW, I didn't think twice about joining the NYWC school. Little did I know it was going to be one of the most intimidating things. Mikey knows his stuff and would make us earn our spot in the business, from extreme drills to executing everything in the ring with perfection. When Mikey finally approached me one day and asked me to have a match I knew I finally earned his respect and it will always be one of my favorite matches. He still to this day is my trainer and mentor.

TJ: How did you get hooked up with Evolve and their promoter, Gabe Sapolsky?

TN: When I decided I wanted to break out and expand, I tried making contacts where ever possible. One person who helped me a lot with that was Colt Cabana. He was nice enough to get my info across to some people, Gabe being one of them. Gabe acknowledged it but I wasn't until Evolve 5 that Gabe had met me and decided to give me a chance. Daniel Bryan was on that show and was doing a double shot that day with Evolve and NYWC. Mikey Whipwreck sent me to the Evolve show to pick Bryan up and in exchange I was able to talk with Gabe and set something up with Evolve.

TJ: You made your Evolve debut at Aries vs. Taylor in a four way match, and then you battled Silas Young at Aries vs. Moxley. Both matches were fast paced, high energy affairs. What was it like working those matches and how well did you feel those matches went?

TN: Given the amazing talent in Evolve, I knew if I wanted to stay I had to bring it. I know those won't be my best matches but I was very pleased with them and the responses I got.

TJ: That brings us to Evolve 8: Style Battle. How would you describe this “Standing Combat” style that you will bring to the event?


TN: I have developed a great skill using my legs and power as a weapon. I like to keep my matches off the ground and force my opponent to stand toe to toe with me. Although I can fly a little and work my way around a hold, I have had much more success on my feet, and I feel that will lead me to be the first ever Style Battle winner.

TJ: What are your goals for this event? Who would like to fight most in this tournament?

TN:
My ultimate goal is to make my first win in Evolve a huge milestone, not only in my career but in this company. What better way to do that then to beat one of the best today, Austin Aries.

TJ: Your work in Evolve so far has also gotten you your first Dragon Gate USA booking on June 4th at the NYWC Sportatorium in Deer Park, NY (I hear that facility is ready made for television tapings). What does it mean to you to get a booking on a DGUSA cable PPV and for your home promotion to be so strongly associated with DGUSA?

TN:
This is exactly the path I have been looking to go since I started breaking out. I know that if I keep working hard and give 110% every time then I can't go wrong. Getting this booking has been one of the many payoffs I will get for my hard work.

As for NYWC, this collaboration will hopefully open the eyes of many people who never knew about the company. Many great wrestlers have come out of NYWC, including many names on TV today (like Zack Ryder). NYWC always puts on top level shows and now they will be able to expand there audience to what they deserve.

TJ: Looking you up on the Internet Wrestling Database, it says that you had some matches for ROH on HDnet back in 2009. How was that experience? Did you think that weekend of tapings would lead to future bookings with Ring of Honor?

TN:
The experience was great. I received a lot of positive feedback but unfortunately before any ideas could be developed, the company went through a lot of changes.

TJ: What are your long term goal for your career? I wrote in my review of Aries vs. Moxley that you have a “WWE” body but you move like a cruiserweight, so it seems like you would have a good chance of getting a developmental deal at the very least. Has there been any movement on that front?

TN:
My goal of course one day is to make it to the biggest stage in wrestling. I have made some attempts in the past but left empty handed. As for right now, I am focusing on having a great career and hopefully take my skills around the world. If I end up in WWE then the payoff will just be that much better.

You can follow Tony on Twitter: @TonyNese
Facebook for bookings: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=713467652
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nese450
Also Visit www.NYWCWrestling.com for show info and wrestling school info.

Finally, here is Tony's promo for Evolve 8: Style Battle

No comments:

Post a Comment